Much of the working day for many is spent sitting at a desk, and whereas before computers we would get up and walk to someone else's desk or office to deliver a memo or such, it's now all done by email.
People no longer walk or cycle to work but instead jump in their cars, even for the shortest of journeys.
So many are over weight or even obese and often suffer from all the ailments and diseases that go along with that extra fat.
But seemingly, even if one is slim and our correct weight, sitting down too much during the course of a waking day we are still in danger of all sorts of avoidable diseases.
So here are 10 tips that I have discovered for sitting less.
- Take a walk break every time you take a coffee break.
- Stand up when taking business or home phone calls.
- Walk to a co-workers desk instead of emailing them or calling them.
- Take the stairs whenever you can.
- After reading six pages of a book get up and move around a little.
- Whenever watching TV, stand up and move around with every commercial break.
- Get a stand up desk.
- Park further away from your destination.
- Set up an alarm to remind you every 20 minutes to get up and move around.
- Take 15 minutes walk break around the block at work.